I remember my mom making stuffed peppers quite often when I was younger. Our family loved this dinner. If I remember correctly, my mama made it with ground beef, white rice, tomato sauce, and corn. It was delicious. In fact I’ve made her recipe quite a few times in my ten years of marriage. I however, have come up with a just as yummy, healthier alternative. Quinoa & turkey stuffed peppers!
Honestly, you’ll never miss the white rice OR the ground beef. Surely, you can sub the quinoa, for cooked brown or white rice. And same goes for the turkey. If ground beef is your preference, by all means, use ground beef, but do yourself a favor and try this out before you make any adjustments. I have a good feeling you’ll fall in love with this dish just the way it is!
Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
Start by cooking your turkey, onion & quinoa. Let cool and combine with tomato sauce, set aside. Next wash and cut 3 bell peppers lengthwise. I like to use a variety of colors, so usually yellow, red, and orange.
Scoop your favorite tomato sauce into a casserole dish sprayed with non stick spray. I recommend trying out my https://www.keepingupwithkaci.com/quick-delicious-cherry-tomato-sauce/ . It’s quick, easy, and compliments this dish perfectly!!
Next add your cut peppers..
Aren’t they gorgeous?!
Now scoop your prepared filling into each pepper. Scoop as much or as little as you’d like.We like ours over-stuffed!
Bake for 35 minutes, covered. Uncover and sprinkle your mozzarella cheese over the top and bake for another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- 3 large bell peppers of your choice
- ½ lb. ground turkey
- ½ C. brown rice
- 2 C. tomato sauce, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- ½C-1C. shredded, skim mozzarella
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium skillet, cook ground turkey in olive oil, before completely cooked, add onion and garlic and saute
- Add 1 cup of tomato sauce and ½ cup of cooked quinoa, combine and remove from heat
- Stir in desired amount of salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, set aside
- Wash, and slice bell peppers lengthwise, set aside
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and fill the bottom with 1 cup of prepared tomato sauce
- Place peppers in prepared casserole dish and fill each with your turkey mixture
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes
- Uncover, sprinkle cheese over each pepper
- Cook another 10 minutes