Salmon is our favorite fish to enjoy here at the Miller house! We’ve cooked it every way you can think of and I must say, Salmon and Summer Squash foil packets aretheway to go! Anytime I can cook my protein and veggies together, I’m a happy camper. Plus the foil method makes for a super quick an easy clean up! Major plus!
Aren’t they beautiful? Colorful, fresh, and healthy! Right now zucchini and squash are in season, but when its time for asparagus to shine, I will definitely be trying that out! Feel free to add green beans or halved baby red potatoes if that’s more your thing.
Start by washing, drying and slicing your veggies about a 1/4 inch thick. Place them in a bowl with olive oil, oregano, salt & pepper to your liking. Mix to combine and set aside.
Tear 4 pieces of foil about 14-16 inches wide and lay them out. Add an equal amount of your veggie mixture to each one. Top with a piece of salmon. Brush salmon with olive oil, then season both sides with salt & pepper (I prefer lemon pepper) sprinkle the top with dill and garnish with a lemon slice. Finish off with a squeeze of lemon juice over each packet. Wrap sides of foil inward, and crimp to seal. You want your packets tight enough to be able to steam cook, but not too tight where your heat won’t circulate.
Place side by side on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
I LOVE to serve this salmon with a lemony, seasoned orzo.
For the orzo, cook according to box instructions. Add enough olive oil to coat the pasta, a generous squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill & oregano. It is divine and the perfect accomplice to this salmon!
- 4 salmon filets
- 2 zucchini
- 1 squash
- 1 shallot
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon oregano for orzo, plus 1 teaspoon for veggie mixture
- 1 Tablespoon dill for orzo, plus 1 teaspoon for salmon
- 2 lemons, 1 halved, 1 sliced
- 4-5 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 box of orzo
- salt & pepper
- Rinse & pat dry your salmon filets, zucchini, squash & shallot
- Slice all veggies ¼ thick and place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of oregano & salt & pepper to taste. Set aside
- Tear 4 14-16 inch pieces of foil and place an equal amount of veggies in each
- Layer salmon over veggies and brush your fish with olive oil
- Season both side with salt & pepper and dill
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top of each filet and top with a lemon slice
- Wrap sides of foil inward, and crimp to seal. You want your packets tight enough to be able to steam cook, but not too tight where your heat won't circulate.
- Place packets on a baking sheet and cook at 400 for 25-30 minutes
- For orzo:
- Cook according to box instructions
- Coat with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of half of a lemon
- Season with 1 tablespoon of dill and 1 tablespoon of oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toss and serve!