Quick & Delicious Cherry Tomato Sauce is my new favorite secret weapon! It tastes fancy & complicated but is incredibly simple and only takes 12 minutes and a few ingredients to make.
I used to make my pasta sauce with larger, heartier tomato varieties but because their sugar content is so much lower, I always needed to add a good amount of granulated sugar, to make a decent tasting sauce. When using cherry tomatoes, the extra sugar isn’t needed! Cherry tomatoes are so naturally sweet and flavorful on their own.
Once you’ve washed, dried and removed the stems from your tomatoes, cut them into halves, and cook in olive oil on medium heat for ten minutes, covered. Add garlic, cook for another 2 minutes, on low heat. Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and basil.
At this point you can leave your sauce as is, or let cool, and put into a food processor (or blender) to make a smooth consistency. I like a little of both so I place 3/4 of my sauce in my food processor and pulse until smooth, then add it back into the pan with the remainder of the sauce.
- 2 C. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
- 1 t. basil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Cut your cherry tomatoes into halves and cook for 10 minutes, covered
- Stir, add 1 tablespoon of garlic and cook on LOW for 2 more minutes
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper & basil
- OPTIONAL: Puree desired amount of sauce