If you make anything this weekend, please let it be this Blueberry French Toast Bake. Its phenomenal. It’s sweet from the blueberries, creamy from the cream cheese, fluffy & dense!
I love to cook, I mean LOVE. But my husband and I have an unspoken arrangement that just works for us. I make lunch and dinner, and he’s incharge of breakfast. I don’t know when or why that started, but it did, and we all love it this way! I’ve never been much of a breakfast person so maybe that has something to do with it. But let me tell you, if I could have this EVERY morning, I would definitely be a breakfast person!
I made this a few weeks ago and it was a HUGE hit! My husband has since then requested it twice AND declared it as our new ‘Christmas morning’ breakfast! That’s major!
I like to prepare this the day before I plan to enjoy it. It gives everything a chance to get to know each other! haha!
And be sure to make the sauce! I went back and forth about whether to make a sauce, assuming the bake would be sweet enough without it. Just do it! It won’t need much but boy oh boy does it finish this dish off nicely!
- 1 loaf of day old French bread
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2 C. milk
- 1½ C. fresh blueberries
- ⅓ C. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1 C. water
- 2 T. butter
- 1 C. fresh blueberries
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray
- Cut entire sourdough loaf into 2 inch squares
- Place half into your sprayed casserole dish
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and place throughout, covering bread cubes
- Top cream cheese with blueberries and remaining bread cubes
- In a large bowl whisk your 12 eggs
- Combine with milk, vanilla & syrup and pour over casserole
- Cover with plastic wrap until ready to bake
- When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap & preheat oven to 350, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- To make the sauce:
- Whisk water, cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Allow mixture to boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly
- Turn heat to low, add blueberries and simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Serve warm over French toast bake!